For What They Taught Me

I’ve had time to reflect during the break from school. To process my first semester doing what I was meant to do. What I’m passionate about. Teaching.

This first chapter in my career was a whirlwind that began in a kindergarten classroom with nine languages and ended with eighty-three fifth graders dabbing and flipping bottles. The change was heartbreaking and emotional, and I couldn’t be more grateful. I learned a lot from this experience, and I’m better for it. It gave me the opportunity to turn lemons into lemonade, and to prove to myself that I am capable of so much more than I give myself credit for.

My classroom and students are my world. I love each and every one of of those children, even when they’re challenging. Especially when they’re challenging. Not every day is easy, in fact most days aren't, but I can feel myself growing and developing as an educator and I like what is happening inside those classroom walls.

Over the break, I got to thinking about my identity as a teacher. I teach with some incredible men and women who challenge me daily to be my best. They are endlessly patient, forgiving, and supportive. We all have drastically different styles, but one thing in common: a desire to shape young people. Our takes on teaching are influenced so much by who we are as people and little pieces of ourselves come out in every lesson.

So I got to thinking, what experiences made me the teacher I am today? Like many educators, I can point back to exceptional teachers who inspired me growing up. I borrow from those influential people daily, trying to “pay it forward”.

Here’s what they taught me.

Kristi taught me that learning can be creative and fun.
David taught me that a vivid lesson can make learning come alive.
Martha taught me to never make excuses.
Sandie taught me that teaching is a lot like story-telling.
Ana taught me the power of connecting with students.
Lisa Jo taught me to be proud of your best work, regardless of the score.
Tucker taught me that if you set high expectations, your students will rise up to meet them.

These men and women unknowingly shaped me into the teacher I am today. I think of them often when faced with classroom decisions. I wonder if they ever stop to think about their students from long ago, where they are, what they’re doing, and if they ever made a difference in those students’ lives.

And I wonder if fifteen years from now, one of these eighty-three kids will be thinking the same thing about me.

Stay well,
Christy

Comments